• Welcome to the Anxiety Community Forum, a friendly space for discussion, help and support with mental health issues. Please register to post and use the extra features available to members. Click here to register.Everyone is welcome!

Worried about accidental posioning.

Joined
Oct 20, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
20
So this one is kind of goofy but here goes. A while back I saw a youtube video about a famous chemist who died after she spilled a single drop of a mercury compound, dimethylmerucry, on to her glove. She was fine for months then cratered in the space of a few weeks. Apparently this stuff is colorless and odorless just like water. Now as far as I can tell there have been only two deaths this century from dimethylmercury poisoning, both in laboratory settings. My understanding is that it was never used that much and is far less so now.

However since seeing the video I am worried about it being potentially anywhere. For instance I got a book from amazon today and after taking it out of the package I noticed a smear of clear sticky stuff on the back that I had to clean off with a wet paper towel, now I worried that it could contain this chemical that logically I know is incredibly rare.

Anyone deal with outrageously unlikely fears like this? Am I just way over the top here? Surely I'm right in thinking that the odds of accidentally coming in to contact with this stuff have to very slim?
 

FlipperK

Active Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2019
Messages
228
Reaction score
95
Am I just way over the top here?
Just a little lol


Your fine, that stuff is highly controlled and super rare. Its' not even really used in any applications due to its' dangerous properties. The only reason that chemist was in contact with it is because that was her job at the University.

What it most likely is probably glue/grease from the packaging facility.
 
Joined
Oct 20, 2019
Messages
114
Reaction score
20
Just a little lol


Your fine, that stuff is highly controlled and super rare. Its' not even really used in any applications due to its' dangerous properties. The only reason that chemist was in contact with it is because that was her job at the University.

What it most likely is probably glue/grease from the packaging facility.
I kind of figured as much but sometimes it helps to write it out and hear someone else agree. Thanks.
 
Top